Quick test of the Tokina 80-200/2.8 vs. Sigma 70-200/2.8 APO EX (I)

Started Jul 5, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
photogerald
Senior MemberPosts: 1,795Gear list
Like?
Quick test of the Tokina 80-200/2.8 vs. Sigma 70-200/2.8 APO EX (I)
Jul 5, 2010

I came across both lenses on a recent LBA-satisfaction trip, so I just had to give them a try.

The Tokina was impressive in its all-black finish and metal build - very, very nice lens to look at and hold. Even the round, screw-on lens hood was metal! This one was in mint condition, and I was feeling tempted to buy it just based on the look and feel alone.

The Sigma was an APO EX, but not the really old-style APO I've seen before - I think this one was the last version prior to the Macro. According to dpreview, that would mean this would be the EX DG, though I forgot to check this on the lens. Like the Tokina, the Sigma was also in really nice condition.

One thing that struck me about the Tokina, aside from its metal construction, was the clutch-focus mechanism to switch between AF and MF.

Unfortunately, it seems that the IQ of the Tokina couldn't match the Sigma. Or maybe I should say fortunately, as I already have the matching 1.4x converter for the Sigma. Actually, from my limited testing the Sigma seems shockingly good. At f2.8 the center is sharp and it has very good CA control (I didn't have a way to test the corner sharpness).

This "discovery" throws a wrench in my plans, as I had settled on getting something light and small like the DA50-200WR for travel use, while keeping my fast primes for more "serious" work. But this Sigma seems too good to pass up. I'll need to go back and test it against my FA*200/2.8 (I think the Sigma will beat the FA*200).

Anyways, my test photos are in the reply.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow