ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
CarloSalt
Regular MemberPosts: 185
Like?
Mid Zoom. Pulling my hair out
Jul 3, 2010

No doubt this has been discussed on here before

Well I have had my EOS 550D for almost a month. It came with the Kit Lens 18-55mm. Its now time to upgrade the lens and my initial desire was to get a bigger zoom. I had a look around and my mind was made up after a few chats on here. The Canon 55-250 IS at about £180.

Well I read some more in here and started to understand lens and what all the suffixes mean. My decision then changed to get a mid zoom (walk around lens). Any way long storey short I have got it down to the following 3. Criteria being.. Mid Zoom, Under £300, Silent zoom motor, and Image Stabilisation.

Canon EF 28-135 F3.5/5.6 IS USM @ £275
Canon EF-S 17-85 F4/5.6 IS USM @£290
Sigma 18-125 F3.8/5.6 DC OSM OS @ £250

Also Looked at the Sigma 18-200 DC OSM OS @ £275 but thought it was probably too big a zoom and it would have draw backs in weight and optics.

Ideally I would like the Canon EF-S 15-85 IS USM but its out of my price range @ £500.

Well I have read everything and played with the lens in shop coupled to my camera. My preference is probably with a canon and ideally up to 135 mm. However the compromise in the wide end, and the fact its an old lens doesn't make it an easy decision.

Any one know of any reason why I should rule any of my 3 out ? To me optics of the 3 seem very similar. Both wide ones distorts a little at its lower extremes and all zoom drives are fast and quiet. Perhaps one has a better second hand value than the others ?

Any help in the decision process would be appreciated and I hope to purchase next weekend

Thanks

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow