Started Jul 2, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rens
Senior MemberPosts: 1,393Gear list
Like?
I want an m4/3 with swivelling screen AND in body IS
Jul 2, 2010

I'm in process of switching from 4/3 to m4/3 for weight reasons. As the years pass, hills get steeper.

I've been out with my wife's G1; with 14-45 lens it weighs SO much less than the E3 with 12-60. While the lens is slower and just a bit softer in corners, images seem sharper in the centre. Is this the effect of a weaker AA filter? In any case, IQ is fine for my use.

I won't do without a swivelling LCD so I'm looking at the G2 with it's 14-140 lens; mostly I use wide angle but the 14-140 lens should cover everything longer I might want.

My reservation concerns the wide angle lens I'd get. The Oly 9-18 would suit me perfectly if only it were stabilised. The Panny 7-14 is stabilised but severely restricted in it's range (as well as heavier and dearer). So at present I have to choose between my preferred wide angle zoom range and IS.

With 4/3 limited high ISO ability I consider stabilisation essential, even for wide angle in poor light.

Panasonic has clearly nailed its lens stabilisation system to the mast, so please, Olympus - introduce a stabilised m4/3 model with swivelling screen tomorrow. I'll buy it.
--
Rens

PS I know the 14-140 covers the FL beyond the 7-14, but changing lenses frequently is a bind and also means I have to carry two lenses.

PPS I'd much prefer both, but if I had to choose between a viewfinder and a swivelling LCD I'd choose the latter.

Rens's gear list:Rens's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow