Norm's tips for low-light auto focus performance

Started Sep 5, 2008 | Discussions thread
PentaxNick
Contributing MemberPosts: 618
Like?
Decouple AF
In reply to Norm1234, Jul 1, 2010

Great tips.

Related to finding somewhere of focus and recompose, I have the camera set to decouple the shutter button from the AF and only use the AF button for focussing (unless moving stuff like tigers when I'm in AFC). This lets me focus and then spend time recomposing without having to switch to manual focus or having the camera AF reactivate. Just suits my way of working.

Nick

Norm1234 wrote:

If there is a place in the frame where you can detect a bit of contrast, focus on this area, use the focus lock, and re-compose as required. You may be able to ask a model to hold a small piece of white paper for the focus setting, and then either put it down, or out of the frame for the photograph.

I have always carried a small flashlight in my camera bag – in very dark situations, I sometimes hold the flashlight parallel to the lens, and let the beam from the flashlight illuminate the scene just long enough to achieve focus. I then switch the AF control to manual, and take the picture.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
n/tNew
n/tNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow