Started Jul 1, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mark Ehlers
Senior MemberPosts: 1,883Gear list
Like?
Zoomer: January 18, 2000 - June 30, 2010
Jul 1, 2010

This afternoon at approximately 5:30 pm, we said good-bye to our friend, our defender, our resident comic, Zoomer (aka: Captain Z, Z-man, Crow Dog, Zoomer-boomer, Boomer Boy, and many others).

Earlier in the afternnon, I had spent a couple hours with him on the front lawn, reading and feeding him some of my wife's delicious lemon-butter chicken. I spilt a half-package of Lorna Doone shortbread cookies with him. Then I gave him a nice rub-down with a warm, wet towel. While lying on his favorite spot, the warm sun slowly dried his still very thick and beautifully sleek coat. I shot a roll of Kodachrome 64 with my Leica MP and the 50/1.4 Summilux.

When the time came to put him to sleep, we had planned on putting Zoomer's huge bolster bed out of the front lawn, along with some blankets and some of his favorite stuffed toys. But I didn't want him to be outside if he was uncomfortable with it, as lately he had been just wanting to go out just long enough to do his duty and then come back inside to lie down. But two times before the vet arrived, as the three of us sat in the front room, Zoomer made it clear that he wanted to remain outside. And so we did.

The day was perfect: Beautiful sunny skies, with a gentle north-east breeze. The birds were singing as they flew in and out of our trees around our little camp. It couldn't have been a more perfect day, and it was clear that Zoomer wanted to be right there in the middle of all this beauty.

Finally, the time came. As the injection was given, my wife sang a song to him that she has sung many times over the past year to comfort him. Then she said she wanted my voice to be the final one that he would hear. So I repeated the words several times as we petted him gently together: "Good boy, good Zoomer. I love you". And slowly, and ever so gently, Zoomer began to fall into the deep sleep.

It is now 9:20 pm as I write this. My wife and I have just returned form eating supper out with my mom. A couple friends have already dropped off sympathy cards and flowers. As we walk through the door, we enter a very quiet house, but one that is filled with many precious memories of our very special friend we were blessed to have in our lives for too short of a time.

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart, for allowing me to use this forum as a way fo sharing and coping with this challenge for the past year and a half. I can only wish that for all the blessings that my wife and I have recieved from you all, that those blessings are returned to everyone a hundred-fold.

Zoomer "Captain Z" Ehlers - January 18, 2000 - June 30, 2010
"May you rest in peace, my special friend, until we meet again someday."

-- hide signature --

• Mark Ehlers (formerly 'markE')

http://www.pbase.com/marke

'Good street/wildlife photography is a controlled accident,
a vision of preparation and surrender materialized.'

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow