ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
h2k
h2k
Contributing MemberPosts: 648
Like?
Panasonic G2 newbie has some questions
Jun 30, 2010

Hi. I'm about to buy my first m43 camera, a Panasonic G2 (I like the swinging lcd), starting with 20/1,7, probably Oly 9-18 and/or the Pana 14-45. I know well enough about cameras, EVIL vs. DSLR, image editing etc. etc. - but not much about Panasonic m43 practically, so I have some questions. Thanks for all your ideas!

• Which class or speed of memory cards do you suggest? (I will take only few videos and usually don't need the maximum fps speed at all. Still I don't want to slow down the camera. I prefer high capacity cards of well-known companies and won't buy via Ebay.)

• I do like good looking JPEGs straight out of the camera; was happy enough with my Canon compacts' JPEGs. Do you suggest any changes to the JPEG conversion settings (color, sharpening, JPEG quality)? (Will mostly shoot JPEGS with the camera set to 5 MP or so and auto white balance; can work on raw files in Photoshop CS5 if need be; the medium JPEG quality on my Canon compacts was perfectly alright.)

• Is there any reason at all to install any of the software that comes with the Panasonic G2 camera? (I have Photoshop CS5 and will convert any raw files straight to DNG first, with Adobe software. I would prefer to install no Panasonic-supplied software at all, as I'm happy with my workflow right now.)

• Which m43-Nikon adapter made you happy? (I have a bunch of Nikon lenses from analog times, including a 50/1,8, and for starters intend to try the Nikon lenses. I would buy the m43-Nikon adapter in Europe via a regular dealer, not Ebay.)

• Which m43-43 adapter would you recommend? (I might go for Panasonic-Leica lenses.)

• I would instantly or later buy a 2nd battery. Is it mandatory to buy the original Panasonic battery (because of chip) or are no-name batteries useful too? (Had very good no-names for my Canon compacts.)

• Anything else you'd recommend when starting out with a Pana G2?

Thanks for all suggestions!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow