Started Jun 23, 2010 | Discussions thread
moving_comfort
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,756Gear list
Like?
Consider the long Sigmas, also
In reply to Walt_A, Jun 28, 2010

Walt_A wrote:

flashpixx wrote:

Intending to hire the D300S and 7D each with OEM 70-200/2.8 lenses for a weekend each. That should give me enough info to make a decision which way to jump.

That sounds the best solution. Hope all goes well. BTW I had a quick use of a D300s and the nikon 80-400 at a bird reserve and wasn't overly impressed, then reading about it found out that this lens is not renowned for af speed. So I'd add, if the 70-200's are not what you intend going with, if you can, try and get the lens type you expect to buy. For instance some people believe the 400 5.6 from canon is better than the 300 F4 because of focus speed (not saying these fit your needs), I've kinda ignored the 70-200's because they are a bit short for what I need, so cannot pass comment on their af ability.

After your tests I'd be very interested to hear the outcome, Pentax's af tracking is always playing on my mind and would be the reason I'd move on, if ever!

-- hide signature --

Walt

I can say that the Sigma 100-300 F4 HSM on a Nikon body like the D300S is blazingly fast. It works very well with the Sigma and Kenko TC's, also, if you want more reach.

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Pentax K20D Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow