ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tcom
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,924Gear list
Like?
LBA: Sigma 8-16/4.5-5.6 HSM first shots
Jun 26, 2010

Hi

Over the years, I liked ultra wide angle lenses more and more. They are tough as they need extra attention when composing the shot to get attractive photos, but then, they allow some very dynamic shots. That's why I contacted the Sigma rep and asked when the Sigma 8-16 will be available in Pentax mount. The rep told me that he will inform me when he knows somethings, usually the Pentax mount version is released 2-3 months after the C/N mounts.

On Wednesday he sent me an EMail telling the first lenses arrived, I could go to a shop and order one if interested, that what I did on the same day. Yesterday, I could pick it up.

The lens does make a sturdy impression. The build quality seems very high. The lens is HSM only, so it will require an Pentax DSLR with SDM support to work.

On first tests, I encountered a problem with the lens. When the focal is below 10mm, the K-7 (as well as K-x and K20D) does not seem to understand the focal length transmitted by the lens and displays ---mm on the display. The focal length is also missing in the EXIF, PhotoME reports focal length not set. When the lens is set between 10 and 16mm, it works. I will see what the Sigma rep says about it...

So, but what does the lens deliver? Photos of today, all taken with K-7

1 Statue in Vevey
below 10mm (probably 8mm), f/8, 1/200s, 100iso

2 Steamboat Vevey, in Vevey
11mm, f/6.3, 1/800s, 100iso

Fields of daylilies
below 10mm, f/10, 1/125s, 100iso

below 10mm, f/5, 1/500s, 100iso

below 10mm, f/10, 1/125s, 100iso

6 Chillon Castle
12mm, f/7.1, 1/400s, 100iso

7 Steamboat La Suisse

tcom's gear list:tcom's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Pentax 645D Nikon D4 Leica M Typ 240 Pentax K-3 +24 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow