Beginner's lens questions for K-x

Started Jun 26, 2010 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
antifreez Forum Member • Posts: 96
Beginner's lens questions for K-x

I just bought my first DSLR (K-x: 18-55mm / 55-300mm kit). I'm looking for a more specialized lens and am seeking advice. I love indoor, natural light shots of my wife and daughter and have been happy with my 18-55mm, but I've been looking for an affordable (under $500 if it exists) lens with an aperture of 2.8 or wider? However, given the high ISO capabilities of the K-x, is it necessary to go wider than 2.8. Given the K-x's performance in low-light, is it logical to assume that a 2.8 goes farther than it would on, say, a Nikon D5000.

Also, from what I understand, primes have an advantage over zooms for their sharpness, however, I'm not sure what the ideal focal length would be for me. By using a 35, 45 or 55mm prime, I'm not sure if I'd have to back too far away from the subjects I'm shooting indoors. However, I don't want to limit myself by getting something shorter than a 35mm (limit, meaning, don't want all my indoor shots to be wide angle/fish eye-ish). Therefore, would I be better off perhaps giving up some sharpness of a prime in order to have more flexibility with a zoom (example, 16-45mm)?

I'm considering these from Pentax but am very much open to generics as well:

smc PENTAX FA 50mm F1.4

If I could swing the price:

smc PENTAX D FA 50mm F2.8 Macro
smc PENTAX DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited

smc PENTAX DA 16-45mm F4.0 ED AL (4.0 aperture wide enough? and lens itself seems VERY bulky)

Looking forward to your feedback! Thanks for your time.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow