Pana 14-45 clearly better than new Pana 14-42 ?

Started Jun 25, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
h2k
h2k
Contributing MemberPosts: 592
Like?
Pana 14-45 clearly better than new Pana 14-42 ?
Jun 25, 2010

Hi. Pana’s new kit lens 14-42 has got some bad press. Would you say the olden Pana 14-45 is visibly better? I can distinguish and appreciate lens qualities. Getting the 14-45 instead of 14-42 would cost roughly 250 USD more, but i’d invest if it’s sharper and shows less lens flare (and i’d pay for more robustness too.)

Thanks for your opinions!

PS. I'm aware that a G2 review including a 14-42 review on dpreview.com might come some time soon.

(Background. I’m in the process of buying my first m43, a Panasonic G2, so i wonder about a walkabout lens. I do need the articulating monitor, so i have to take a Panasonic, and as they don't have in-body stabilization, i do need to take a Pana lens with in-lens stabilization. I was also pondering the Pana 14-140, but it collects bad press too. I will definitely buy a Pana 20/1,7 and a super WA (even though both unstabilized) and i have some old Nikon glass usable via adapter (even though i crave AF and stabilization, so the legacy lenses will only be occasionally and interimly used).

My dream walkabout leans would be a 12-60/f4 for m43, my dream camera would have in-body stabilization and swinging monitor and good JPEG output, but obviously you can’t ask all that.)

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow