ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Douglas Boyd
Regular MemberPosts: 435Gear list
Like?
Nex-3 at ISO6400 pictures
Jun 21, 2010

All,

My Nex-3 with 16mm lens just arrived from Ritz Camera via Amazon. Compared to the Canon G9, the Nex is lighter but slightly more awkward for the pants pocket. But it does fit. Also I was very impressed by the easy to use menu system-- this is facilitated by a very easy to use and fast wheel, and clear screen cues. By the way this is the best screen yet for viewing outdoors in bright sunlight-- it works well. No need for a viewfinder. This camera has three advantages over the Canon G9/G10/G11 series: high ISO, sensor can be cleaned of dust, and interchangeable lenses. The disadvantage is that the zooms are huge. It also has the advantage that you can use it with out constant consulting a manual.

So I decided to snap off a few shots to check the high-ISO performance, since this is the main reason for owning a Nex-3. I shot the same scene at ISO200 and ISO6400 outdoors with all default settings. For the purposes of comparison on this forum, I downsized each jpg to 6mp. If you want to see the original 14mp images, they are here: http://dboyd.com/Nex3

The first image is at ISO200, F14, 1/250th:

The second image is at ISO6400, F18, 14000th:

The high ISO image looses the ability to resolve the fence posts for the distant fence. I suspect this would clean up a bit using Raw and a top noise reduction program like Neat Image or Define2, and I may get around to looking at that later. All and all I am very satisfied with this new camera so far.

-- hide signature --

==Doug

Douglas Boyd's gear list:Douglas Boyd's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Ricoh RDC-7 Nikon D70s Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sony Alpha NEX-3 +38 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow