Started Jun 21, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mark Ehlers
Senior MemberPosts: 1,882Gear list
Like?
Zoomer's last days
Jun 21, 2010

I haven't been active here for the past several months, so I might have to explain this post to some of the newcomers. Our 10 and 1/2 year old greyhound, "Zoomer" (aka: Captain Z, Crow Dog, Z-man) contracted bone cancer almost 2 years ago. One and a half years ago, we decided to have the cancerous leg amputated. The vet warned us that it might buy him another 6-8 months. Well, it's been just over 1 and 1/2 years since then, and we have been blessed with that special extended time with him. The vet claimed that Zoomer's story is nothing short of miraculous. Along with having the opportunity to produce some of the best pictures of him during that time, we have received literally hundreds of emails from people around the world expressing their prayers and well wishes over the past year. For anyone not familiar wth Zoomer's plight, the story can be read by clicking on his blog from this link:

http://www.pbase.com/marke/zoomer

But we new that his days would not be too much longer, and it looks like Zoomer is now in his final stage. About a week ago, he began to lose his appetite and developed a bad cough. Today the vet drained nearly a quart of fluid from his lungs, which had a lot of blood in it. It seems the cancer has now invaded the lungs. The procedure we had done today was mostly just to give him some relief, until we decide to put him to sleep, or the good Lord decides to do that on his own.

This picture shows that even though we had just returned from a car ride to the clinic, when I asked the magic question, "Go for a ride?" , Zoomer still gets excited and the smile comes through.

(LX2 image - click to see full size)

-- hide signature --

• Mark Ehlers (formerly 'markE')

http://www.pbase.com/marke

'Good street/wildlife photography is a controlled accident,
a vision of preparation and surrender materialized.'

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow