Started Jun 20, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
srock
Regular MemberPosts: 354Gear list
Like?
New K7 -impressions from a K10d owner
Jun 20, 2010

Just got my k7 after a year of waffling - I actually love my k10d, but the time had come for me to give in - I bought from Adorama with the kit lens (I already have the AL non sealed 18-55.) The total cost was $899.00 shipped and another $27.. coming from Bing Cashback ($872.00 total). My K10 and non sealed 18-55 goes on the block at eBay soon.

Surprisingly, The major differnces which I expected were not there, there appeared to be simply a refinement of prior. It felt better in my hand than the K10 but also similar. A bit smaller, but reassuringly solid . The button layout is different but any k10 user will adapt very quickly. The user option menus have been criticized, but they are complex and you can quickly see the heritage from the k10. Most all the options are still there, but the groupings are slightly different. It did not take me long to do an initial set up and get the buttons to (mostly) do what I want. The pentax setup has always been quirky but very flexible. Some of the options are in Pentax-speak and if you figured them out from the K!) you are good to go here.

The bracketing buttion, has beeen replaced with a software option. (I do HDR, so that will be a change, but no biggie)

I'm still not sure about some of the options, because some are enabled/diabled by mode (and then greyed out). Otion seem to appear/dissapear iin some modes. Some quick switching from the info menues is now possible.(I think a good thing)

Again Evolution, not revolution.

It is quiet. The LCD is beautiful and huge. The live view will be very helpful (I love macro work). Fit and finish and overall sense of quality are what you expect from Pentax. (I am always amazed at how flimsy the Canon and Nikons (in the normal humans price range) feel by comparison

The doors (battery, acessory, SD card) are OK (better on the K10)-

Overall, it feels more familiar than foreign in the hand. It will take some getting used to it. It will take some time before it becomes second nature. Still need to go out shooting. But I'm expecting good things (the pixel peepers have reassured me that I will be happy!)

So far so good

Steve

srock's gear list:srock's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Pentax K-3 Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 18-250mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +10 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow