Started Jun 20, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Joe0Bloggs
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,391
Like?
No release-priority mode for D5000???
Jun 20, 2010

Normally this is time for me to shout "RTFM" at people asking questions like this one, but:

1. It's a bit hard to look for a feature that doesn't exist in the manual;

2. It's a bit hard to take the manual seriously when on the first page on the subject of focus, it spouts nonsense such as "In AF-C mode, the camera gives priority to shutter response and the shutter may be released before the in-focus indicator is displayed"--when this is patently false in real-world usage--specifically:

a. When I am on AF-C and place the focus point on a blank wall, the camera steadfastly refuses to shoot.

b. (and this is the deal-killer for me) when I set the AE/AF-lock button to function as AF-ON, if I AF on my chosen subject (in any mode--AF-A, AF-S, AF-C; single point, dynamic area, 3D-tracking...) then recompose the shot, the camera will intermittently refuse to fire. It took me valuable shooting time to figure out that the camera will refuse to fire if the focus point is placed on something that's not in focus (say, anything other than the subject)--thus severely limiting my options for focus-and-recompose.

I've gone through every possibly relevant menu setting on the camera with no effect, and I despair of finding anything helpful in the manual when it asserts that the camera is on release priority by default in AF-C mode!

Am I SOL here?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow