Started Jun 18, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
William Pesch
Regular MemberPosts: 323Gear list
Like?
Old Program Corundum
Jun 18, 2010

I have a couple of old programs that are not available today in the newer computer operating systems. I tried some of the newer programs that claim that they do what I want (by other manufacturers, as old manufacturers are out of business), but, they really do not compare to the older programs.

Specifically, the older programs are interactive piano learning programs using the MIDI interface showing on screen what to do and then you try and do it on the MIDI piano keyboard and the computer monitor shows what you what and how you actually played the music. The newer programs are non-interactive type DVD's that you watch on the TV and try to mimic what you see. There is no "feeling" or "feed back" with these programs. Also, they are not convenient, because the TV is not right in front of you viewed over your piano keyboard.

One of my old programs runs on Win 95 (Voyetra "Teach Me Piano") and a couple of others run on WIN 98 (MusicWare "Learn to Play Piano" and Cakewalk "In Concert", to name a couple).

How can I build a new computer with the old operating systems. I still have my old floppy and CD install disks for these operating systems. That part is OK. The problem, I believe, is that the newer motherboards won't accept 16 bit codes and the old operating systems may not recognize hardware drivers for the newer equipment and Win 95 does not use USB for the newer style MIDI cables.

Has anyone some suggestions on how I can get up and running with the old operating systems? I would use a separate hard drive for each system. I still have the old sound card and its install disk (because the MIDI cable interface needs the "Game Port" to talk to the computer and piano keyboard). Video off the motherboard would be OK, not doing photo editing, just viewing music sheets.

Thank you,

-- hide signature --

Gritty

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow