ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Leedsgreen
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?
EPL1 v GF1 – Beginner’s Open Question
Jun 18, 2010

Dear All,

I have been reading the Micro Four-Third forum for some time now, in particular, to help me decide between buying the EPL1 or GF1 camera. I have also visited my local camera shops to have a go with both. What I notice in general is:

EPL1
· Better Jpegs
· IBIS

GF1
· Better screen
· Sharper (better) kit lenses (14-45mm and/or 20mm)

However, I still have a few unresolved questions, which I hope users of either/ both may be able to help me with:

1.Is it possible to alter the Jpeg settings in camera for the GF1 to get results closer to EPL1 output?

2.Can either detect IR light (i.e. how strong is their internal IR filter)? What I mean is that on my Canon a710is (point & shoot) I can attach a Kood R72 IR filter, take exposures of around 1sec and (using CHDK RAW) get some great shots. (I have attached one at the end). Has anyone tried this with the EPL1 or GF1? If not, can either detect the light from you remote control?

3.When playing with the DPreview RAW studio images, my sense is that the GF1 shot is more realistic (particularly with the feathers and hair) compared to the EPL1, after I have applied a touch more sharpening. Could anyone give a real-life impression?

Thanks very much for any help on the above, which is much appreciated.

Nick

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow