Is it crazy to take LX3 AND ZS7 to Yellowstone?

Started Jun 17, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
William Porter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,542Gear list
Like?
Is it crazy to take LX3 AND ZS7 to Yellowstone?
Jun 17, 2010

I am really, really enjoying the LX3. I don't even dislike the zoom range. I take it as a feature of the camera and I like the limitation. However, the flip side of "it is what it is", is "it isn't what it isn't". And what the LX3 isn't, is a good camera for shooting wildlife.

So I've ordered a ZS7. The 25-300 zoom range (in full-frame terms) doesn't give me a terribly long reach at the telephoto end but it's better than the LX3 by a lot. The ZS7 isn't as fast as the LX3, but f/4.9 at the 300mm full-zoom isn't bad.

So the idea is, I'll carry BOTH cameras, and use whichever one suits the shot better. For landscapes or when I'm able to shoot up close, I'll use the LX3. For shots where I need more reach, I'll use the ZS7. And while I was originally considering taking a DSLR with a 70-300 zoom (= 105-450 in full-frame terms) for long shots, I'm thinking now that the ZS7 would make it unnecessary to carry the DSLR.

Is this a crazy idea?

Will

William Porter's gear list:William Porter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow