Getting Rid of Aperture Plug-in

Started Jun 16, 2010 | Discussions thread
Mauro.B
Mauro.B Senior Member • Posts: 2,493
Re: Protec6

It's a Unix service installed by Viveza 2 that starts on machine boot and talks to the Nalpeiron server (a copy protection company http://www.nalpeiron.com ) to control on a continous basis your "licensing status" vis-à-vis Protec6 copy protected applications (Nik Software, Alien Skin and some others).

Uninstalling / deleting Viveza 2 leaves behind, and fully working, the Protec6 / Nalpeiron service. I discovered Protec6 by pure chance and after some quick search on the net I decided to delete it. It was not easy, since apps in the library/startupitems directory cannot be deleted the usual way: I had to drag the whole Protec6 folder to Desktop (admin psw required) and then delete it. If the Protec6 folder is put back into the startupitems directory, on next reboot it will not be started by the system due to "security issues" (Snow Leopard displays an alert).

I do not want to seem overconcerned on this Protec6 issue, however I did not like to have an active service talking to an outside company I am not related to without my consent or knowledge, even after the relevant protected app had been uninstalled. Please take note that Protect6 is not detected by Little Snitch nor firewall, so it must have some swift coding inside.

Best regards,

M

-- hide signature --
 Mauro.B's gear list:Mauro.B's gear list
Ricoh GR II Leica Q2 Sony a9
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow