Started Jun 16, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Marlomarlo
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Is the G2 a loud camera?
Jun 16, 2010

I’m thinking about buying a Lumix G2 to replace my 6-year-old FZ20, which is a superzoom from back in the olden times. But before I make a decision, I was wondering if anyone knew how quiet it was compared to, say, an FZ20.

I once took a picture of someone from around 5 feet away and she was surprised that the sound my camera made was only “like a fingernail scratch.” It was a posed shot in a quiet room. Can I expect the same or something close when using the G2? I’m willing to put up with more image noise (and less other image quality factors) vs. a T2i if it means significantly less sound noise. A lot of the shots I’ve taken for work (as an aide) have been in small conference rooms full of politicians and in the gallery where the legislature meets. If every picture I take creates a lot of nose, it’s going to be a problem.

I've seen videos with the G2's shutter going off, but it's a video. I'm sure I can make my FZ20 sound louder in a video than it is in real life.

Also, while we're here, should I not worry about the new technology coming out in the near future like quantum dots? Ideally, I’d like to have a new camera as soon as possible. But I’m not a professional photographer and no one has complained about the quality of my pictures (aside from me). So if sensors are going to be dramatically better a few months from now, I can just rough it till then. Otherwise, I’m sure the leap from a superzoom's sensor of the ye olden days of yore to micro 4/3rds will suffice.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow