Started Jun 14, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jag64551
Regular MemberPosts: 108Gear list
Like?
Considering a change in my wedding photography combo
Jun 14, 2010

I have done a few weddings over the past year for friends who can't afford a "real" photographer. I have a couple more lined up this summer and fall, and am currently trying to decide if I should make some changes in my lense repitoir...

I currently have a Canon 70-200mm f4/L, Canon 50mm f1.8, and a Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 EX DG Macro (along with other equipment of course). I shoot with a 40D and an XTi. I am keeping the 70-200mm as it has met my needs nicely.

I have been finding that the Sigma 24-70mm just doesn't seem to be as sharp as I'd like to be in the group portrait shots (also doesn't have great color); seems to lose a lot of sharpness around the edges. I've noticed this from f/2.8 down to f/10 (obviously worse with larger aperatures), and also it seems to be worse when you zoom out to 24mm-30mm. I don't have a huge budget though, so getting the Canon 24-70mm f2.8 IS is not an option.

These are basically the two roads I am considering, and wondering if anyone would care to chime in (I'm sorry this post is rather long):

A) Keep the Canon 50mm f1.8 and replace the Sigma with either the Canon 24-105 f4/L IS or the Canon 17-40 f4/L.

or

B) Replace the Canon 50mm f1.8 with the f1.4, and try a different third-party lens like the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 or the 28-75mm f2.8.

I would be getting them online, used most likely, as I have had good luck with that, and can't quite afford the new prices (other than the Canon 50mm f1.4).

Thanks!

jag64551's gear list:jag64551's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow