LX3 for teenager use

Started Jun 8, 2010 | Discussions thread
SF Photo Gal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,081Gear list
Like?
A Contrarian View
In reply to Corkcampbell, Jun 14, 2010

I'll take a little bit of a contrarian view here. I have an LX-3 and I LOVE the camera, but I rarely take it off of Program mode. I think they would find the zoom range of the LX3 kind of limiting and I think one of the ZS models might be a better choice for someone taking yearbook pictures. It has a very versatile zoom range which will get you close to the action but still has a decent wide angle. And when you're grabbing action or candid shots, you don't want to be thinking about camera settings anyway. The ZS models are more compact and has a build in lens cover.

When I bought my LX-3, I gave my younger sister, who is in high school, my old TZ-5, which is the predecessor model to the ZS series, and it worked out perfectly for her with it's 28-280 zoom. The new ZS-5/7 has a 25-300 zoom and uses AVCHD lite for video where as the LX-3 uses the older movie JPEG format.

So yeah, it doesn't have the manual controls, but when you're grabbing shots, you don't have time to think about settings - it's all about capturing the moment.

SF Photo Gal
Canon 1Ds MkIII/Panasonic GH-1-LX-3-FZ-50

SF Photo Gal's gear list:SF Photo Gal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow