Started Jun 14, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Brad Waldera
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,697
Like?
Need help with water shots (D90).
Jun 14, 2010

I haven't tried taking many shots of waterfalls and rivers but had some free time today. I ran into a couple of issues. I needed to get the shutter speed down to 4-6 seconds to get the effect I was going for. I had only brought my 50mm f/1.4D with me, a tripod and a couple filters. The river is just a few blocks away from my home and I waited until it was about 8pm to go down there. I ended up shooting in shutter priority at 4 seconds which gave me f/16. I also used ISO L 1.0 but still needed to use both a circular polarizer and a neutral density 4 filter at the same time. (I know that's a no no, but it was my only alternative).

Anyway, the only way I think I could have gotten usable results with only one filter is to have waited until near dark or used a different lens with a higher number aperture. Does anyone have any tips on getting good results with this type of photography they could share? Do I need a different lens or a darker ND filter, or do I just have to stay later at night? Thanks in advance.

This was probably the best result I got if you want to c&c.

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow