Best FX walking-around lens for under $1800?

Started Jun 13, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
EyePulp
Regular MemberPosts: 187
Like?
Best FX walking-around lens for under $1800?
Jun 13, 2010

Howdy;

I've been shooting on a d200 for about 2 years now, and used the 18-200VR for the last 8 months. Now the opportunity has come to finally go FX, and I'm going to get rid of a few lenses and pick up (most likely) a d700, a 50mm 1.4, and... And I'm not sure what for the workhorse lens.

I shoot almost entirely candid, indoor and out, never with a flash, and frankly don't need the tele of a 200. I do like a bit of zoom for composition, but spend a lot of time at the wide end of things.

This is non-professional travel photography at best, and goofy family events at worst. Looking to spend up to $1800 for the lens, but I'm totally OK spending $5 if it gets me the right lens. I've looked at reviews of the 24-70 and 17-35, which all seem pretty fantastic, but thought it worth asking for some opinions. I'm only familiar with the DX crop-factor, with no FX experience, and I don't want to swing the pendulum too far to the wide end since I get that 1.5 crop back.

Here are some shots with the d200/18-200 combo on a recent trip if my shooting "style" (and I use that term loosely) would affect your recommendation:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/eyepulp/sets/72157624011535005/

Thanks for any advice.

-- hide signature --

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
a n d r e w

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow