Started Jun 9, 2010 | Discussions thread
olyflyer
Forum ProPosts: 22,757
Like?
Re: Josef...
In reply to rssarma, Jun 12, 2010

rssarma wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

I believe you, but those are FF lenses, not optimized for 4/3 at all... Do you have both the 105 and the 150 for both the Canon and the 4/3? That's a huge collection of macro lenses. Why not buy the Canon 100/2.8 instead of the Sigma 105? Isn't the Canon better? OK, the "L" is a bit more expensive but the normal one is basically the same as the Sigma.

Any small sensor format using a FF lens benefits from using the "sweet spot" of the lens, I believe the same is true for both the Sigmas as well. However, these lenses are unique in the sense that they perform admirably on all the formats that they're available for.

Exactly. Which is why there is nothing wrong in buying FF lenses to be used on DX bodies and leaving the door open for an upgrade path instead of buying only DX lenses and having to waste money once one is ready for walking the FX path. The only disadvantage there is in buying FX lenses is the inefficiency of hood. Not even weight is an issue, since the weight saved would be marginal.

I own the Sigma 105mm lens, but all other equipment that I state experience is usually rental as I rent based on my requirement. It would be very expensive to buy all that gear!

Rental is not possible here, not even Nikon gear, as far as I know. Anyway, in the long term it would be more expensive, but yes for occasional use and for trials it would be very nice. We can't even try at home and get back the money if we don't want a lens or a camera, which in my opinion is good because I want to know that the item I pay for is not been used by anyone else.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Oly,New
EasyNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow