Started Jun 11, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dooginator
Junior MemberPosts: 42
Like?
Smaller lens hood for EF-S 17-55?
Jun 11, 2010

I read a thread in one of the other forums where the OP had replaced (he felt successfully) the lens hood for the 17-40mm (I think) with a knock off intended for the 24-105L. I’m not really concerned about whether that combo will work, but it got me thinking.

I have the Canon EF-S 17-55mm IS, and I also have the Tamron 18-270mm as a walk-around/scouting lens. It seems like the additional 1mm of width doesn’t justify the substantial difference in hood size between these lenses. The hood for the 17-55 is huge, and I have to remove it to put the lens in either of my camera bags, storing the hood sideways separately. It also prevents me from dropping the lens into a cargo pocket when doing a quick change to another lens. The hood for the 18-270 hugs the lens barrel fairly tightly when reversed for storage, and can stay on when I put the lens is the bag.

If the bayonet mount were the same size I’d just use the tamron hood on both (assuming the additional 1mm on the canon lens didn’t lead to vignetting), but alas, they differ. However, I wonder if anyone here has used a third party hood for the EF-S 17-55mm IS lens that is more…wieldy, while still serving its lens shading function and not vignetting?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow