ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
octane2
Contributing MemberPosts: 670
Like?
5D Mark II does New Zealand - Autumn 2010 - Part II
Jun 10, 2010

Hi all,

Following on from my post a couple of weeks back, this is the second installment of a selection of images from my most recent trip to the New Zealand.

The previous installment can be found here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1032&thread=35419968

Glimpses of Frozen Glacial Architecture

Whilst descending Franz Josef Glacier, I happened upon this pretty glacial formation which was hidden between two peaks. Whilst intrigued by nature's architecture, a momentary lapse in the thick cloud let sunlight shine through thin lower cloud and illuminate the blue and white peaks.

Franz Josef Glacier is 12 km long and terminates 19 km from the Tasman Sea. It is found in Westland National Park on the South Island of New Zealand.

Unlike a lot of glaciers worldwide, Franz Josef has actually entered an advancement phase and at times can advance about 70 cm a day.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Hoya Pro1D circular polariser
1/60s f/8.0 at 50.0mm iso100

Come, Quench My Thirst

On a cold and frosty morning, first light bathes the scene as a lonesome wave comes crashing onto the shoreline of Lake Wanaka.

My thirst is endeavouring to capture that special light. Whether it's starlight in the form of tiny pinpoint stars, or the starlight of our precious Sun at sunrise and sunset.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, Hoya Pro1D circular polariser, Singh-Ray 3-stop soft grad
1/10s f/16.0 at 40.0mm iso800

Alta Martianscape

A relatively tiring climb up The Remarkables leads one to Lake Alta; a 500m by 250m body of water nestled between the peaks of The Remarkables. Unfortunately, the scene was rather barren due to low-lying mist which covered the peaks surrounding the lake and therefore made it rather unphotogenic.

A short climb away, however, was a rather more inviting scene.

Here, I've captured the last glimpses of sunlight as our star settles in for the evening whilst loose moraine and beautiful tussock covers the exposed rockface.

Fingers numb, upper lip frozen, intense shivering, the surrounding red and grey -- it made me think of what sunset would be like on Mars.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, Hoya Pro1D circular polariser, Singh-Ray 3-stop hard grad
3.2s f/16.0 at 17.0mm iso200

Orange Marmalade Skies
Lake Wanaka and environs just prior to Sol making its way into the sky.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, Hoya Pro1D circular polariser, Singh-Ray 3-stop hard grad
2.5s f/16.0 at 40.0mm iso100

Thanks for looking!

Regards,
Humayun

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow