Time for Olympus/Panasonic to up resolution?

Started Jun 9, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tinternaut
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,642Gear list
Like?
Time for Olympus/Panasonic to up resolution?
Jun 9, 2010

I know most of us here are perfectly happy with 12MP (or less even) but the world moves on and I'm sure most here would like to see their investment in glass reasonably well protected. I've also seen the odd thread recently discussing how clients often make demands (reasonable or otherwise) in terms of system used or resolution. The professional community is an important part of any system IMHO but they have a duty to themselves and their families to follow the money.

With that in mind..... Is it time Olympus and Panasonic looked at upping the resolution produced by their bodies? One of the most important lessons of the last couple of years is that from a technical viewpoint, it's not just the size of the photosite that matters...... It's what you do with it and, by hook or by crook (probably both), Olympus has made the smaller sensors it uses broadly competitive with the larger A-PSC sensors used by Canikon.

Is a 4/3 body with an 18MP sensor that is broadly competitive with the current 12MP models in terms of DR and noise feasible or are the laws of physics already being stretched to breaking point?

-- hide signature --
 tinternaut's gear list:tinternaut's gear list
Olympus E-510 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
4^2?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow