Hey Lance, any gripes with the D700 yet?

Started Jun 8, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
picsbydan
Regular MemberPosts: 184
Like?
Hey Lance, any gripes with the D700 yet?
Jun 8, 2010

I don't mean to single you out, I'm rarely on this board lately but I noticed that you recently got a D700 and I'm just wondering about your comparisons to Pentax?

Here's mine....

I to recently purchased a D700, and in a shot time ended up with the sb600, 50 1.4, 85 1.8 and 35 f2 along with it. I have a pretty full Pentax line up as I have been shooting portraits and weddings for a few years now (gasp, a professional photographer using Pentax for weddings!). I desperately wanted to try full frame, and especially Nikon's auto focus capabilities.

Having Pentax all my life (I'm only 30) and being a creature of habit, like most humans are, it's been a little tough getting used to some of the things I take for granted on the Pentax system. Keep in mind, I've only had the D700 for 8 days now and I haven't had a chance to really put it through it's paces. I've just finished the manual and now I'm just trying to implement what I've learned.

Cool stuff:
The auto focus is insane, fast and quiet.
The iso is insane, 12,500 is like 1600 on the k7 (but the 25,000 sucks)
The shallow depth of field on a full frame (esp with the 85mm) is awesome.

Most pictures (portrait wise) just seem to come out better, it's hard to explain.

The sb600 (and all Nikon flashes) secure really easily, much easier than the Sigma 530 super to my Pentax.

Not so cool stuff:

It's bigger, heavier (duh), but not huge. Add a 24-70 and I'll need a massage after every wedding.
Shutter is really loud compared to the k7
The menu system takes some getting used to
No in camera shake reduction (that's a big deal)

Changing lenses seems retarded now, the release is on the other side and the lenses rotate the other way compared to the k7. I could easily change a lens and keep the camera face down with the k7. Now it's just awkward.

Just the general layout of buttons is something to get used to on any new system.

Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't seem to have an auto off, the top lcd display stays on even when the camera isn't used for 10 minutes or more.

That's all I can think of right now. I can't see myself ever getting rid of the k7 (although I promised my wife I'd sell something), it's awesome on soooo many levels.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow