Started Jun 5, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rcfuzz
Regular MemberPosts: 139
Like?
Manhattan's camera district back in the day
Jun 5, 2010

Good camera shops are getting harder to find than a barber shop with one chair. I was in Bergen County Camera in Westwood, NJ the other day talking to Bob (salesman and VP) and we were marveling about the wonderful things that digital cameras can do (just bought a Lumix G2). I reminisced about running downtown after school to go to the photo district (around 34th Street and 7th Ave.) in Manhattan to rummage through Willoughby's and Olden Cameras searching for cheap photographic treasures. Back then (late 60's), we never dreamed there could be anything like digital photography. We saved our allowance, bought some film (sometimes getting outdated rolls at a bargain or rolling our own cartridges from an 100 foot spool of Kodak B&W), waited to see the results and find how many keepers we managed out of a roll of 36 exposures. Minolta was all the rage (at least in my crowd). Most of my friends had ST-101's. I had a Miranda (I really wanted an Exacta - it was a weird camera and I was a a bit weird - still am). Very few of us could afford a Nikon and only drooled on the pages of Popular Photography lusting at Hasselblad and Leica ads. Don't know why I chose to go down memory lane today, but it was a nice trip. I won't tell you about walking barefoot 10 miles each way to school and writing my lessons on the back of a shovel with a lump of coal. That's for another day.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ThenNew
BlahNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow