BEST dynamic range at ISO X at YOUR dslr?!

Started May 18, 2010 | Discussions thread
chuxter
Forum ProPosts: 14,772Gear list
Like?
Re: Dynamic range at ISO X at MY DSLR
In reply to milt95033, Jun 5, 2010

milt95033 wrote:

The D90's base ISO is 200. This chart seems to say that when digital pushing is used to get 100, the dynamic range is increased. This is so strange I suspect something is wrong with the chart.

I agree...the data is suspect. I was curious how he got this mixed up, so I went to his site and found the following:

" Photographic dynamic range is a practical measure of the ability of the sensor to capture an image that will have acceptable noise at a normal enlargement and viewing distance.

This is distinctly different from dynamic range as defined in engineering terms. "

He does some strange (to me) "adjustments" of the data...for example, the:

" SNR values are adjusted for the Circle of Confusion (CoC) that is appropriate for the sensor size. "

I didn't find a good description of exactly what he did or why he thought this was necessary.

BOTTOM LINE: William J. Claff invented a different definition of "Dynamic Range" to suit his purposes. Personally, I ignore people and stuff like this.

-- hide signature --

Charlie Davis
Nikon 5700, Sony R1, Nikon D50, Nikon D300
HomePage: http://www.1derful.info
“...photography for and of itself – photographs taken
from the world as it is – are misunderstood as a
collection of random observations and lucky moments...
Paul Graham

chuxter's gear list:chuxter's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Nikon D50 Nikon D300 Nikon D810 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow