Started Jun 4, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tesselator
Senior MemberPosts: 1,031
Like?
G2 vs. GH1 - feature & function.
Jun 4, 2010

I was all set to purchase the GH1 when the seller of the GH1 canceled the "buy now" auction on me this morning. The weenie! I was to acquire this machine for a measly $350 (new in box, no lens) too. But there are several other sellers within $10 of his price so it's not a total bust I guess. However, I've now noticed that the G2's are going for about the same price (+$25 or so) and I was just kinda wondering which was the better value: the GH1 or the G2? - given that they're the same price I mean. So I thought I would start this discussion by highlighting the differences that stand out to me.

1. The G2 has 6400 ISO but loses 1080 HD. The GH1 is 3200 max ISO.

2. The G2 has more movie scene modes (now 26) but I dunno if those are useful.

3. The G2 accepts the new SDXC cards - but places the card slot right next to the tripod socket (dumb!)

4. The G2 moves the front finger dial to the back and juggles various other buttons. (who cares?)

5. The G2 uses "AVCHD lite" but still has the MJPeg.

6. The G2 is missing the on-flash stereo mics but still has an external stereo mic connector.

7. The G2 is limited to a 4min. bulb exposure where the GH1 has 8min. (important to me!)

8. The G2 has a better looking LCD I hear - and of course it's a touch screen.

9. The G2 also adds a few functions like video titling, text stamp, and "Video Divide" whatever that is.

10. The G2 has a 13.1 mpx sensor instead of the GH1's 14 mpx one but I have no idea what than means in practice. Nothing I think?

11. The G2 supposedly produces better looking JPegs with it's new processing engine and it's "Intelligent Resolution" - which apparently also improves the look of the movies too.

12. The G2 can take photos while recording movies by just pressing a shutter button which I assume the GH1 can't.

13. The G2's anti-dust system got an up update as well. It's now oscillating at a much higher frequency but for only 1/3rd the length of time. (0.3 sec. vs 1 sec.)

14. And according to DPreview:

• "Movies can be recorded from all modes using the direct access button, with the camera choosing the appropriate shutter speed, aperture and gain settings. In scene modes the camera will attempt to tailor those settings to the type of scene specified but there's no manual control available in the P,A,S,M modes. There is is, however, a Movie P (program) position on the mode dial, in which exposure compensation and aperture can be adjusted (including while the movie is being recorded)." and I assume that's a rather important feature loss. I know I hate auto-gain at any rate and the whole attraction of the GH1's movies were manual operation.

There's a review of the G2 here: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/DMCG2/DMCG2A7.HTM

Comments, opinions, anything?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow