Started Jun 3, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Uluru
Contributing MemberPosts: 747
Like?
The K-7 and the Y-strap
Jun 3, 2010

Many have perhaps heard about the Y-strap solution for carrying a camera. I have to admit, I very much love this solution for DSLRs too. Although Stephen Schaub ( http://figitalrevolution.com/y-strap/ ) has made/configured it having in mind rangefinders first (I believe), it works exceptionally well for bodies such as K-7 and an attached prime lens. (It works so well with a Leica M cameras, so I got another one for a K-7).

It's much more comfortable than a neck strap which I hate -- I always wrap the neck strap around my fist to secure camera in my right hand. Carrying a camera on a neck strap alone is a pain, or in the right hand all the time, and yes, with a bigger zoom you advertise "I'm gonna shoot some pictures today" more than needed.

Y-strap totally solves all of these problems. Camera rests just above the left hip, it's not the centre of attention any more, and now in winter times (southern hemisphere) it's under the coat as well. Neck tension and shoulder pain are gone, and in just a second a camera is ready before your eyes. And then it rests down again.

K-7 with any of the small DA primes makes it an ideal candidate for a Y-strap. It's so light, unobtrusive, your both hands are free and camera barely moves. A K-7 with a DA40 weights no more than a Leica M8/9 with a 50mm lens, and yet DA lens is much shorter too.

If this sounds like an advertising for a Y-strap, or a K-7 plus a prime, my apologies, but it's hard not to recommend a solution that actually works, and it works really well. It also eliminates the need for a bag, for I still cannot find a good, small, dedicated bag for a DSLR plus a small prime combo. When you say a DSLR, manufacturers give you a heavily padded backpack or a big messenger bag, which defy the very purpose of a small package.

Overall, highly recommended for unobtrusive, efficient, joyful, casual, street photography and long walks.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow