Sigma 30mm f1.4 stopped focusing! Heat??

Started Jun 1, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
AngelicBeaver
Contributing MemberPosts: 658Gear list
Like?
Sigma 30mm f1.4 stopped focusing! Heat??
Jun 1, 2010

I recently purchased this lens brand new and was testing it at Gov't Canyon State Natural area.

I was attempting to focus on a spiderweb that was clearly in the range of the minimum focus distance and it wouldn't lock on. I tried to manually focus it, but it never "snapped" into focus.

When I looked at the lens, I saw that as I turned the focus ring, it would stop moving before reaching the end of the distance scale on the close end. Gripping the ring harder made it move a little more. I gave up and put it back in my bag, deciding it was busted, but, next day, everything was fine.

Has this ever happened to anyone? The only thing I can think of that may have caused this is that it was hot outside (90+ degrees F), and with the sun shining on the lens, maybe it got even hotter. Obviously, I don't leave my lenses in a hot car, but do I need to worry about average San Antonio summer temperatures too? Do I need to build a foil hat for my lens?

AngelicBeaver's gear list:AngelicBeaver's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow