Well, I'm giving Nikon 2 more weeks then that's it for me.....

Started Apr 18, 2010 | Discussions thread
bbbinohio
Contributing MemberPosts: 961Gear list
Like?
Re: Bob - At the risk...
In reply to psandham, Jun 1, 2010

First of all, I sincerely thank you for taking such time and thought to answer.

psandham wrote:

of being called insensitive, or worse , I’ll chime in. There are thousands of us who are using the D700 with great success. You say that your point & shoot is outperforming it,

No, I didn't really say that, what I said was that FOR ME, I was able to get better output from my cheap point and shoots.

and even post photos to prove it (some of which are very good, by the way).

Thank you. (And don't worry, I know that they are still very basic and that I have a lot to learn.).

You also say that you constantly experience over/under exposure and admit that the camera is “WAY TO COMLICATED” (caps are yours, not mine). You wish for easier LiveView and a 100% viewfinder. Well, I’ve never used LiveView and I agree that the 95% viewfinder must be learned. But…

Given that you can use a point and shoot, which no doubt has less megapixels than your D700, I don’t believe a newer, higher megapixel camera with a 100% viewfinder will solve your dilemma.

Well, I think it will certainly help a little. Look at it this way. I won't have to learn a 95% viewfinder. I won't have to learn how to guess my DOF or my exposure, because I will be able to see it.

And there’s no way the new model will be LESS complicated, trust me (I come from a Nikon FTN in the 60’s and every model since has been MORE complicated).

Well, sadly I do believe that.

Your problems with exposure are most likely related to your lack of experience using multiple adjustable settings on a DSLR and how they relate to each other. I notice in another one of your posts that you ask the relation of the ISO settings. This is pretty basic stuff, dating back to the ASA ratings of film. If you don’t have that basic knowledge, I can understand your frustrations with something as extravagant as the D700. Do you know the relation of f/stops and/or f/stops to shutter speed?

I'm not very smart, but I know how ISO and F/stop - DOF and Shutter Speed all interact with each other. My point is that a great photographer does not think about technicle stuff like that when he get's ready to shoot. What great photographers think about is only one thing... composition.

It's like a great golfer, do you think Tiger Woods or Jack Nicholas stand up at a tee and thinks (hmmm... remember, keep my left arm straight... elbow in... most of my weight on my right foot... chin down... keep the club head square..."…

No, they don't.

All they think about is where they want the ball to go. Why??? Because great golfers know that if they thought about anything else they would screw up the shot.

The same is true with all great photographers. Too much concentration on technical issues causes them to screw up their shots.

Therefore (and I wish Nikon would learn this. In fact, I wish a lot of photographers here would learn this). A great camera, not only give the photographer powerful tools, but just as important it takes as many of the technical issues as it can away from the photographer, so all the photographer has to do is compose.

All three, ISO – f/stop – shutter speed, work together and must be correctly set for an exposure to be successful. The particular setting you are using for your exposure area will also contribute to the final photo. As all of these are individually adjustable, it certainly can get confusing. And we haven’t even discussed exposure compensation or Picture Control settings, or many other things that can affect the output of the camera. Any one of these settings that is incorrect can lead to failure. I’d also start shooting RAW if you are using any post-processing software that can convert the Nikon NEF. I use it for MINOR adjustments but you can also salvage MAJOR errors (although overexposure is tough and poor focus is tougher). Learn to read your EXIF and histogram info so you know what you did when you DO get a good shot.

FWIW, my basic camera knowledge was learned at a Nikon School in 1966 or so (I still have both of the 3-ring binders we were given). I know that Nikon does have classes available for the D700 and it would no doubt be worth your time to look into taking one. Another suggestion would be to hook up with a local photo club. DPReview can be just like that local photo club and offer a lot of help. How that help is received is not in our control. Some of us are more verbose than others, too .

There is no reason that a knowlegeable photographer cannot easily get an accurate exposure from a D700* in all but a very, very few specific circumstances unless the camera is defective.

I wish you success and don’t be afraid to ask for help. Most of us are quite civil, most of the time.

Well some are civil and some are extremely insecure jerks, but I will probably ask anyway as I need the help.

I will put you at ease a little. I fully know that I certainly lack knowledge and I need classes in photography, and I am willing to take them. In fact I am trying to find the right classes or courses now.

Thank you again for being one of the very nice and “civil” people on this forum. You have been very generous.

THANK YOU. (my caps, not yours)

Bob Wilber

-- hide signature --

pjs
RIP Kodachrome 1935-2009

bbbinohio's gear list:bbbinohio's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
SadNew
SureNew
LOLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow