Why are people so obsessed with viewfinders?

Started May 28, 2010 | Discussions thread
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,258Gear list
Like?
Re: Why are people so obsessed with viewfinders?
In reply to WaltKnapp, May 30, 2010

WaltKnapp wrote:

GaryW wrote:

Are EVFs produced out of necessity rather than cost? As a practical matter, if you switch lenses your OVF for the 16mm lens isn't going to work for the 18-55. But I wonder if a more-expensive OVF could be created to electronically zoom to match the setting of the camera? I don't see why this wouldn't be possible. Just make it a lot larger than my old film P&S's crummy VF (which also zoomed).

We are talking about DSLRs, or at least I am.

I looked back, and I didn't see a specific mention. The person you responded to mentioned m4/3. But that's OK -- I can talk about DSLRs.

I don't know why anyone would put an EVF on a DSLR. It's easy enough to put an OVF on there. I assume that EVFs might need to be used if you basically didn't have a true SLR design.

Not P&S or NEX, which is not a DSLR but a P&S for purposes of viewfinder discussions.

True. They deserve good viewfinders too, though! When I went digital, I quickly learned that I couldn't effectively use the VF. So in effect I was trained to use the LCD out of necessity.

In DSLRs it does not matter what lens you put on the OVF is looking through it so matches the lens used. One of the reasons why SLR/DSLR have become so dominant in high end photography.

So, for DSLRs, why would there be this discussion?

Walt

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow