5400 RPM vs 7200 RPM for Photoshop on MacBook Pro

Started May 28, 2010 | Discussions thread
spalbird
Senior MemberPosts: 2,491Gear list
Like?
Re: 5400 RPM vs 7200 RPM for Photoshop on MacBook Pro
In reply to Reid Parkinson, May 30, 2010

Reid Parkinson wrote:

I have a 17" MacBook Pro from 2006. I came to the point where I needed more storage, so I replaced its 5400 rpm drive with a higher-capacity 7200 rpm drive. Capacity, not speed was my primary motivation, but wrt speed, I thought, "What the hell; in for a penny, in for a pound." When it arrived with the new hard drive installed, it was startlingly faster. I didn't test exactly how much faster it was, just that the speed increase was very obvious. Since then, I've resolved to always purchase new laptops with faster drives. After all, a laptop isn't as fast as a desktop computer to begin with. Why shackle it further with a slow drive?

It could be a larger cache. The cheapest drives don't have much. Opening large images is maximum 15% faster with the 7200 disk. Eventually the original disks was operated in a power safe mode where it takes a little longer to come to speed? I anticipate, the faster disk needs more power and provides additional heat. A solid state disk, while being more expensive, should be a real improvement...

wolfgang

spalbird's gear list:spalbird's gear list
Sigma DP1s Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow