Started May 28, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
aquarta
Regular MemberPosts: 128
Like?
5400 RPM vs 7200 RPM for Photoshop on MacBook Pro
May 28, 2010

My apologies if this subject has been beaten to death but I'm hoping for some fresh point of views....

I'm thinking of getting the new 17" i5 MacBook Pro. If I don't custom configure, the default hard drive is 5400 RPM. When I visited the Apple Store, the display models had Photoshop CS4 installed and seemed to be okay when I launched it but naturally, you really can't see the true results unless you start working with it.

My question are:

1. Would 5400 RPM be sufficient to use Photoshop CS4 for image editing? Any drawbacks?

2. Has anyone compared 5400 RPM vs 7200 RPM and noticed a significant difference in terms of battery life? Heat? Noise? And MOST of all the time to take run a task in Photoshop such as running a filter, startup etc.?

3. Would it be worth the 50.00 upgrade to a 7200 RPM?

Any help would greatly be appreciated. I haven't formerly decided on the i5 17" just yet but it seems its the one I'm gravitating too. I also eventually want to get a cinema display. Supposedly the 24" inch will be getting replaced with a 27" (rumored of course)

Also, does anyone own a 15" or 17" and could let me know what they feel about it in terms of size, portability? The 17" only weighs a pound more than the 15".

Is anyone using the 17" with also a larger display?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow