Not sure what Olympus meant by E-P2 and E-PL1 at the same time

Started May 26, 2010 | Discussions thread
Jeremy_T
Senior MemberPosts: 1,224Gear list
Like?
Re: Two different markets
In reply to chekist, May 28, 2010

chekist wrote:

So basically you agree there the differences are in marketing?

Once again, I read in review after review that E-P2 will please experienced users and E-PL1 is economy model for P&S shooters. I consider myself somewhat experienced user and I do not see that much difference. Both cameras are usable and neither is comparable mid range DSLR (like D300).

Wireless flash at the same time is critical for many types of photography. In fact for photography is 90% about lighting. People get crazy with diffusers, but diffusers add very little versatility compare to off camera flash.
--
--
Eugene
http://fratkinphoto.com

Frankly I'm baffled by its omission from the E-P2 as well. One would think that this is just a matter of software (though obviously you'd need a gun of some sort mounted, even the lowly FL-14 should be adequate), and the software is clearly already out there.

That said, I have a wireless capable flash gun for my Sony stuff, and I've only used it a few times. I don't own multiple wireless guns, so all I really gain from it is the ability to relocate a single light source; that's at times useful, but bounce is usually adequate if not preferable. I've mainly only used it for macro work (I don't have a legit macro light, and this lets me hold the gun such that its path to the subject isn't obstructed by the lens).

Honestly, I think shutter speed is more relevant to real world usage. The E-P2's shutter is already slow (I frequently have to stop down the 20mm and/or go to ISO 100 land where dynamic range sucks) and anything slower would probably necessity an ND filter. This isn't an issue for the kit lens, but it is with faster glass.

Jeremy_T's gear list:Jeremy_T's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
LOLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow