Why are people so obsessed with viewfinders?

Started May 28, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JanKritzinger
Regular MemberPosts: 351
Like?
Why are people so obsessed with viewfinders?
May 28, 2010

Cameras originally had viewfinders because that was the only way to frame and focus the shot.

Liveview LCDs are more than adequate for framing, and good autofocus negates the need for a optically perfect image.

The biggest advantage of an LCD screen over a viewfinder is that you don't have to take photos with the camera attached to your face! For close range wide angle photography, this gives you invaluable control over perspective.

I've shot outdoors extensively with liveview cameras, as early as the 1990s, and sunlight has never been so bad that I can't at least frame a shot, and see where the camera is focussing. Today, LCD screens produced by the likes of Sony are better than ever.

In a big DSLR, sure, incorporate both.

But with compacts such as the NEX, optical viewfinders make very little sense, and I am glad that Sony have opted to leave it out.

Viewfinders do have benefits, but most people just want them because they are used to them. Their resistance to change will die with them, and someday most viewfinders will be optional add-ons for those with special needs.

I can't wait for the NEX 5 to hit the shelves.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow