Re: Dpreview straightens out distortion correction

Started May 26, 2010 | Discussions thread
jamesm007
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,457Gear list
Like?
Re: Dpreview straightens out distortion correction
In reply to Andy Crowe, May 28, 2010

As a article with a wide audience I believe it should have been stated that geometric distortion is a by product mainly of zoom type designs and that primes don't suffer geometric distortion anywhere near the degree a zoom can. Primes need no software or special glass, its why distortion was not a huge deal back in the film days. Now with super zooms, zooms covering 18-200mm in any format you will have to make many trade-offs in its design no doubt about it. And yep you can cover some of the poor control of aberrations of the lens with software, which I don't have a problem with to a point.

But it should have been stressed the best most expensive (but not always) optical performance comes from prime lens as they don't have to trade off anything for great performance.

Now I must say I am a zoom shooter and prefer zooms over primes, but still the reader should have been fully educated.
--
jamesm007,
http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z77/jamesm700/
WSSA member 266PX

jamesm007's gear list:jamesm007's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow