Why does the Zeiss 24-70 actually get that much praise?

Started May 27, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Martin Datzinger
Senior MemberPosts: 2,214
Like?
Why does the Zeiss 24-70 actually get that much praise?
May 27, 2010

Hello!

To make things clear I'm interested in upgrading to FX (from Nikon DX). I have zero brand loyalty left and with Nikon unwilling to launch a sensibly priced > 20MP body, chances are I may switch to Canon or Sony. What I absolutely need is a dependable fast midrange zoom. Now the choice would be obvious, the Zeiss, but when I look at it, I am a bit underwhelmed. Firstly, slrgear says it is "a home run", but their own resolution figures suggest it is actually rather weak wide open and oddly it never really catches up with the Nikkor equivalent. The first samples I've seen didn't exactly look brilliant either. Plus the bokeh seems very odd. And for the hefty price you get a lens that is very heavy but at the same time not well sealed and extends outside with the hood while zooming*.

Now again, please don't get me wrong, if my primary use was wideangle zooms, I'd buy the a850 + Zeiss 16-35 in an instant. I also lust for the STF and the 70-300G is tempting as well. But since the lens that has earned me money in the past 3 years was a pro midrange, there is no way around it.

So am I missing something? Are there any convincing positive tests I haven't yet seen?

Best regards,
Martin

About my obession to how the C+N zooms works mechanically - it makes perfect use of the hood: The hood is connected to the sturdy outer shell giving maximum physical connection and when zooming towards the wideangle end, both lenses get longer, which means flare protection is a lot better as well.

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow