Started May 27, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PulpMysteryFan
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?
E-PL1 versus E-P1
May 27, 2010

I hate to say it, but I've been coveting the Panasonic DMC-GF1, but things have been changing in the marketplace. First, the super interesting new Olympus E-PL1 came out, and I was about to buy it when I noticed that there are some interesting discounts on the E-P1. For example, at Costco the E-P1 and FL-14 flash are $600 for the two. Which is essentially the same price as the E-PL1.

So now I have no idea what to do.

I'm used to cameras -- I've owned many manual SLRs over the years -- but I'm not really a gadget-head either. The E-PL1 is nice -- I've fiddled with it in a store. The manual menu options for setting F-stop and shutter speeds aren't too bad, it's ergonomically nice, etc. I've never held an E-PL, but reviewers seem to love it. It sounds more rugged, and the controls may be (?) superior. The lack of flash was going to be a deal breaker until I saw that deal at Costco.

So what would you do? Is the E-P1 flawed or superior? Would you rather have the slightly smaller form factor of the new E-PL1? Is the E-PL1 superior at video? Does it have other advantages?

Thanks for the help and advice!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow