This is the last picture taken with my A900...

Started May 27, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JasperD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,661
Like?
This is the last picture taken with my A900...
May 27, 2010

... for now.

Carrying the lens combination which carried the camera, I stumbled, made some wild uncontroled movements to recover - didn´t work out - and to my surprise, saw the camera come off and drop on the concrete, one meter lower. I looked at it in disbelief, thought I might not have fixed it correctly (but I had just been taking pictures with it!).

Then I looked at the lens which didn´t escape me and escaped it: the mount was still sitting on it. The screws even looked reusable! I was shocked to discover the whole mount is screwed on plastic, not on the mag alloy body itself...
Camera made the noise of a tin box filled with a few loose screws.

It´s in for repairs now. I don´t expect Sony to honor extended warranty in this case, the body of course carries big evidence of fallling, and I won´t argue about how it did, that´s a lost battle in any case. My main concern is in fact whether it is repairable at all. In which case the disaster might be limited to the max repair costs Sony has set (pretty low) for this camera. Kudos to them for that! If however it´s said unrepairable, then it becomes another story... To me it looks like the mirror box and SSS mechanism need replacement, maybe worse.

With the A100 not back from repairs yet and a short citybreak in a foreign country up next week, I´m very deeply sad, hurt in every sense, also physically. My own body just has a few scratches of course. My best lenses are SSS now, I´m not sure I will enjoy putting the 700si back to work, under the circumstances. Might even leave it at home.

70400G + 1.4TC at 560, f11, 1/160, ISO 160

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow