terrible modern photo finishing? Fuji Crystal?

Started May 26, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
filmrescue
Contributing MemberPosts: 647
Like?
terrible modern photo finishing? Fuji Crystal?
May 26, 2010

I was at my parent's house yesterday and noticed a new package of Costco prints laying in the kitchen. It's been a long time since I've looked at consumer level prints made from a digital camera file. I surprised at how bad it was. The paper was thinner than what I'd ever seen from a commercial provider, the shadows were blocked up, the highlights burnt and the flesh was this bizarre Lobster color and it had an inconsistent surface sheen. It really did look like a bad ink jet print.

What confuses me is that the paper was branded Fuji Crystal which I thought was an RA-4 paper which doesn't necessarily mean the print will look good but I didn't think it could ever look like bad ink jet. So my question is - what is this? Does fuji make a paper called Crystal for their dry lab? If so - Fuji used to make the best commercial printing system but this really did look like garbage...what's going on here??? If it is Ink jet...is this what dry labs put out?

I've generally never felt my Epson 3800 printers could quite match the output of a good commercial RA-4 color print but it sure outperforms what ever the heck Costco is doing.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow