Started May 26, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
chekist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,392Gear list
Like?
Not sure what Olympus meant by E-P2 and E-PL1 at the same time
May 26, 2010

I have been using E-P1 for a while, but recently switched to E-PL1. There is no specific reason as far as features of the camera itself that won me over. In fact I did not want to switch to E-PL1 because I thought that controls would be worse. The reason why I finally pulled the trigger is underwater housing. I do underwater photography from time to time and would rather not have a separate set for that...

In any case. I am not sure what Olympus was thinking when they released E-PL1 at $550 while trying to sell E-P2 for $900? I prefer the E-P2 look, but this is about it. Controls of E-P1/E-P2 are OK but not very good, at the same time E-PL1 is not significantly worse. (or at least for the features that I need)

With E-PL1 you get on board flash, which is OK as far as value, but it can remotely control other Olympus flashes which is very valuable. You also get a dedicated video button. Better yet, you can use it as the second function button! On top of that they release a great underwater housing to go with it.

I am not trying to put down E-P2. It is a very capable camera (based on my E-P1 E-PL1 experience), but I am just not sure about the price point? So you get a great looking camera + orientation sensor. But isn't it your picture that should be great looking?

Not that this problem is new to Olympus - E3 currently has the worst (oldest) sensor out of its entire line-up. So you have to chose between performance and image quality.
--
--
Eugene
http://fratkinphoto.com

chekist's gear list:chekist's gear list
Lytro Light Field 8GB Ricoh GR Leica X Vario Sigma DP2 Quattro Nikon D600 +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
LOLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow