What's wrong with the 35L ?

Started May 26, 2010 | Discussions thread
brightcolours
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,083
Like?
Re: A 35mm f1.4 from Nikon?
In reply to canonpro, May 26, 2010

Ah, but it makes more sense to compare the Canon EF 24mm f1.4 L USM II with the Nikon AF-S 24mm f1.4. It is not like 35mm and 24mm are very similar in field of view...

There are not that many samples and test data available on the Nikon yet, but there is on the Canon 24mm II.... and from those and the impressions from viewing samples the Canon does not have to hide from the Nikon.

canonpro wrote:

(from a few posts up, talking about the Nikon 24mm 1.4 and the 35 1.4, guess I should have put that in my post in case someone didnt read the whole thread).

brightcolours wrote:

canonpro wrote:

It's true that I haven't tested the extreme corners with a FF camera. When I do, I expect to find that they are quite sharp. I also have the 28 F1.8, which is a $400 lens (a bit more now). That's a fine $400 lens. The 35L is way better than it. As I said in my earlier post, I am not looking for sharp corners at F1.4. If I'm shooting wide open, or close to it, it's low light indoor stuff, which never uses the corners. I need sharp corners for landscapes, which I would never shoot at F1.4. The desire to bash the 35L is certainly puzzling. I continue to think that it's just posters who like to rile people up. Those who have the lens, and know how to use it, whether on FF or crop, are very satisfied.

Trust me once you use it on FF youll be able to see the why the Nikon is better in the corners. As much as I hate Nikon they did achieve a great lens. Now Im using my 35L on a 5DMkII, and the corners are softer compared to the Nikon, but not by much. And unless you are a pixel peeper you wont see it in real world use. Which is why I still love my 35L and why its always on my 5DMKII. And as far as you using it on a crop body, I say its a plus not a negative, as the 35L on a crop body is a perfect lens. (By the way pixel peeping and test charts dont matter in real life situations, I printing using a HP Z3100 and when printing those so called soft corners magically disapppear).

I do not understand, I have no knowledge of a Nikon AF(-S) 35mm f1.4?

-- hide signature --

Take any advice given on a forum with a grain a salt. (that includes mine). Nobody is
perfect, though many claim to be.

-- hide signature --

Take any advice given on a forum with a grain a salt. (that includes mine). Nobody is
perfect, though many claim to be.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow