ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PeterToronto
Contributing MemberPosts: 679
Like?
A tip to help prevent over processing images
May 26, 2010

Greetings Guys

Here's a copy of my most recent blog entry...

I often see photographs, even on occasion my own, that look far too processed. You've all seen images that fit the following description: over saturated, over smoothed, and over sharpened. They've been subjected to heavy handed manipulation, where the photographer just over processed at will. With all of these post processing transgressions, the image's inherent beauty has been homogenized into a state of mediocrity. It's easy to fall victim to this tendency, given the array of digital tools that we now have at our fingertips. However, the photographer, as editor, needs to know when to draw the line and stop the post processing.

Here's an easy solution to the over processing problem: adjust you slider until your photograph no longer looks realistic, and then move it back slightly. You can still saturate your images and adjust imperfections; it's just that they won't look hyper realistic if you use this technique. In other words, go beyond where you need to go, and then scale it back to make it realistic. The only question that remains is, "Do you still know what's realistic, and what's not?" If you're not sure, it may be time to distance yourself from your monitor and go for a walk outdoors.

As always, if you found this interesting, there's more to read at my website.

I wanted to attach an image to go along with this tip, but I'm having difficulty adding photos to my gallery for some reason.

Peace
Peter

http://www.peteranthonyphotography.com

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow