ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Richard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,504
Like?
Four Thirds not a good choice
May 26, 2010

For me.

I have always wanted a small camera that had good performance like a DSLR (but I knew it would not be as good but hoping good enough, compacts just don't cut it for me). I wanted something I could throw in a back pack.

So the EP-1 one comes out (which was not quite what I wanted), then the camera I thought that would solve all my issues and would be what I wanted, the Panasonic GF1. After research I found I wanted the view finder and the pancake lens was not going to do it for me but then the size is now bigger and the cost was in th $1000 dollar range. Then I looked at the G1 which was not that much bigger. After spending hours trying to figure it all out, I came to the conclusion. I already have some cheap (disposable) canon and nikon lenses as well as expensive great lenses. I could buy a used rebel xti for ultimate cheap or even the new T2i with kit lens for $849 (the Gf1 kit is $899 and the G1 around the same price) and both these cameras with a decent lens and view finder for the Gf1 are not that much smaller.

The answer for me is the new T21, slightly larger in size and weight, 18 mp's, 1920 x 1080 (1080P, 16:9) @ 30/25/24 fps. All my lenses fit as well as flash etc.

I think I have come to the conclusion I am not getting the performance and sizable size reduction in four thirds.

Now my opinion that I am sure no one will like. If Canon (or Nikon) came out with a few pancake lenses for their small aps-c cameras, they would absolutly obliterate the Four thirds format. I would say for some, they would also have to have in camera IS and maybe weather sealing to completely seal the deal.

But for me Four thirds is a no go. I really did want one but logic and having already owning canon/nikon lenses, it does not make sense.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow