Started May 24, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Harveydad
Senior MemberPosts: 1,636
Like?
Zoom Lenses and Me
May 24, 2010

In the past six years that I have been involved in and learning about digital photography, it has finally dawned on me that long zoom lenses deliver much less than we anticipate, and the zoom exceeds my ability to use it well, and, probably, hold it steady. Now, I am not talking about professional photographers who invest many thousands of dollars on long lenses, and devote a lifetime of learning how to use them, and have their photos displayed in National Geographic and in galleries around the world. I am talking about us: the people who succumb to the ads for zoom lenses, in both P&S cameras and in entry-level DSLRs, and even those who go further. I must admit that, even though I have somehow produced a few long-zoom shots which are acceptable, overall the ratio is not worth the time, the money and the frustration. I am tired of BIFFs (birds in fuzzy flight), and moving subjects which always seem to be, and are, a little out-of-focus. It is time to forget the 30x and the 20x and the 10x, and try to do better with those subjects which are within arms length, or at least within macro-zoom range. Color me smarter, and older, and much less ambitious. And hand me that basic kit lens.

-- hide signature --

POGO was right !

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow