what makes people look inside your web site?

Started May 23, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Charles Pike
Senior MemberPosts: 1,162Gear list
Like?
what makes people look inside your web site?
May 23, 2010

I have been trying to get people past the landing page of my web site. Not sure just what will make them dig deeper. It may well be that just having them come is good enough, but I really would like to see them go deeper into the site.

I did try something that I have not done in the past. Last week, I was walking down the street (I am doing documentary shooting in Charlotte) when I walked past Hooters. They were collecting for a charity, and I dropped in a dollar. I then asked, if I could take a picture. The lady who took my dollar turned to the rest of the servers and called out, "he wants to take our picture." Well before I knew it, most, if not all the servers were out in front of the place, lined up along the wall. I have my account with Photoshelter, and I have that along with two other pictures as the lead into my web home. I just posted this picture, so I will wait and see if people are more interested in looking past that first page.

I have shot with SLR's and then DSLR's since 1958 and love my Nikons. Well, I did sell to magazines, but they stopped using outside photographers and hired there own photographers. I felt that I didn't want to stop shooting, but would work on personal projects until the economy picks up. So, I have purchased the Panasonic to use when I shoot in town. The Nikon with a pro lens had just gotten to heavy to carry around for hours. I am taking more pictures and I hope that I am getting better too.

So part of my question is this. Do I talk to much about myself on that landing page? Should I talk more about what you will find inside? What do you think? I am now shooting with the Panasonic GF1 and I feel I am getting good results. People know that I am taking their pictures most of the time. I am even getting on in conversations with some of my subjects like Chilli Man and Donut Man. As of now, I have not tried to sell to the public, but am sending out light boxes to publishers. Let me know what you think.

http://www.photosbypike.com+

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow